by Kristin Arzt
The most ingenious minds and inventors will gather this weekend at Maker Faire! With hundreds of demonstrations and hands-on activities to choose from at Maker Faire, we selected a few Makers that you cannot miss.
Our (Recommended) To-do List:
- Go for a ride on The Clock Ship Tere, a marvel of mechanical engineering driven by a 10 foot hubless front wheel. Its steel mast reaches 33’ into the air, and spews sails of fire.
- Climb inside the world’s smallest robotic house, designed and fabricated by Pro Metals.
- Create your own Cranky Contraption moving sculpture with The Exploratorium’s Tinkering Studio.
- Alter computer code to create animations and colors on BioLuminOids’ interactive light and sound artworks fabricated from glass, resin, and molds taken of plants and other natural elements.
- Make your own greensand mold and fill it with molten metal with Kinetic Steam Works.
- Turn cranks to control the movements of Mechateuthis, a mechanical giant squid powered by electric motors. Watch the squid sculpture’s arms, tentacles, beak, and eyes move at your control!
- Hear Maker Faire speakers Massimo Banzi, co-founder of the Arduino project, and Mythbuster Adam Savage.
And of course, The Crucible!
Aside from hauling our Smithy down to Maker Faire for Blacksmithing demonstrations, we will have a plethora of hands-on activities, so you can get a taste of the joy that comes with making something with your hands! Glaze your own raku fired ceramic piece, stamp a unique pendant with our Jewelry department, and more! We will also be handing out Maker Faire-exclusive coupons for $20 off your next Crucible class.
The Crucible’s CFO, Renée Ventimiglia, To Act As Interim Executive Director
The Crucible is in the process of hiring our next Executive Director. But, in the meantime, we are thrilled to announce Crucible CFO, Renée Ventimiglia, as our Interim ED....
Celebrate Black History Month With Events In The Bay Area
February is Black History Month, and every year, the Bay Area celebrates the occasion with a myriad of events for all ages....
Please Welcome The Crucible’s Three New Board Members For 2023
As The Crucible continues to expand our relationships across Oakland and the Bay Area, we are thrilled to grow our Board of Directors in 2023. Please join us in welcoming B Byrne...
Job Opportunity: The Crucible Is Looking For A New Executive Director
As we enter our 24th year, The Crucible is launching a search for our next Executive Director (ED). The Crucible Board of Directors is working closely with search firm Koya...
Thank You For Spending Your Weekend At GIFTY!
Thank you to the thousands of visitors who attended our annual GIFTY craft fair and open house this past weekend! With rain forecasted for both days, we weren’t sure what to...
Executive Director Susan Mernit to Retire from The Crucible in February 2023
After four and a half years, The Crucible’s Executive Director, Susan Mernit, will retire from her role as of February 1, 2023. The Crucible has been incredibly fortunate to have...