Job Title: Studio Operations Technician (Lead Metal Arts Specialist), Full-Time
Reports To: Senior Studio Supervisors
Status: Full Time, Non – Exempt
Date: Jul 15, 2021
Hours per week: 37.5 (full-time)
Salary Range: $20-25 per hour
The Crucible, Northern California’s most innovative and diverse industrial arts education center, seeks a multi-talented, customer-service oriented and enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Studio Operations Technician who specializes in metal arts and fabrication.
The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization.
Under the direction of the Senior Studio Operations Supervisors, the Studio Operations Technician works as part of a team to build, organize, clean, maintain, and supervise the studios and facilities for classes, events, and special projects in our industrial arts facility in West Oakland.
The Studio Operations Technician supports the studio safety rules, class agreements for all of the studio and program areas. They will perform routine maintenance and upkeep with an emphasis on our metal areas (MIG, TIG, torch and arc welding studios, Plasma cutters, along with a blacksmith, foundry). In addition assists when necessary in the hot shop & cold shop, glass fusing, woodworking, ceramics, neon, kinetics, textiles and bike shop.
As the Lead Metal Arts Specialist, your priorities in addition to normal studio tech responsibilities would be to maintain the metal arts areas.
The Studio Operations Technician responds to emergency situations as they arise in order to maintain the smooth operation of classes, programs and the facility.
It is a highly collaborative position that will work with a varied group of artistic, motivated individuals in our studios. The Studio Operations Technician must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, be highly detailed and organized.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set-up and manage facilities for programming and events.
- Support, engage and manage studio safety rules and class agreements for all users of The Crucible studios.
- Treat and document first aid incidents ensure timely communication to management.
- Support faculty and staff needs as directed by the Senior Studio Operations Supervisors and Director of Studio Operations & Facilities.
- Organize and supervise volunteers and interns according to organizational priorities.
- Maintain the tool room to ensure that all classes have materials, equipment, and special project support as needed.
- Prioritizes excellent customer service to all students, faculty and staff.
- Performs maintenance and repair of all metals related area shop tools, equipment and facilities as assigned.
- Practice of excellent fabrication skills and utilizes safe work practices in the execution of all tasks.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Monitors studio and class material usage, restocking as necessary.
- Participate in all staff and studio meetings and special committees, as assigned.
- Carries out pick up and deliveries as assigned.
- Oversee studio security during all hours of operation, including special events.
- Carries out opening and nightly closing procedures of the studios and facilities as assigned.
- Attend all training and orientations as needed, including First Aid/ CPR and forklift certification.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum one year of studio operations experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail orientated and have exceptional interpersonal skills with a focus on delivering excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including managing and prioritizing projects with multiple and often competing deadlines, and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy, to prioritize and work on several projects concurrently.
- Ability to work independently and on a team.
- Ability to communicate with vendors, community contacts, students, faculty and staff in a professional manner and with a strong emphasis on customer service.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with populations that are both economically and ethnically diverse.
- Non-profit, educational and or industrial arts experience preferred.
- Must hold a valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts (PDF format) to
Subject line: Studio Operations Technician (Lead Metal Arts Specialist)
No faxes or calls, please!