by Natasha von Kaenel
We know Maker Faire can be overwhelming for both new and seasoned visitors, so we went around asking some of our faculty for a few of their do-not-miss Maker Faire moments. Here are (some of!) our favorites!
Crucible Top Picks, in no particular order:
- Drone racing from Aerial Sports League dSports World 3 is always a blast, and they will have drone racing, combat, micro-scale racing, and caged freestyle going on for the entire weekend.
- Bay Area collective, Kinetic Steam Works is demonstrating their large steam-powered wooden gears that drive a 110-year-old automatic pencil sharpener! Get your pencil steam sharpened!
- Le Attrata‘s infamous fire moths will be making a raucous with incredible fire effects.
- Hearts will be pumping with Pulse, the Flaming Lotus Girls‘ oversized, but anatomically-correct heart that beats fire. A prototype of their next sculpture, NOETICA will also show off the fluidity of squares.
- Power your own fun with Cyclecide‘s bicycle-powered rides.
- And when the crowds and heat get to be too much, relax in the Dark Room’s Lotus, an experimental light installation.
And don’t forget the talks…
There will be a talk about street art and social justice, a great panel about ‘Lady Ironworkers and their Giant Projects,’ featuring prior Crucible faculty member Liisa Pine Schoonmaker, and a talk by Bruce Beasley.
A dedicated community activist and artist in West Oakland for decades, one of the nation’s most renowned sculptors, and one of the first to use 3D printing for sculpture, Bruce Beasley has been an incredible support and inspiration to the Oakland arts scene, local community, and The Crucible. He will be speaking Saturday from 2-2:30!
Or The Crucible!
And of course, we will be there! At our booth, we will be giving out a Maker Faire-exclusive coupon for Crucible classes, showing live demos in Blacksmithing, Glass Blowing, and Foundry, and getting hands-on with fun maker activities in torch cutting, Jewelry, and Ceramics! And don’t forget to make your own fire effects with one of our three fire poofers.
Hope everyone has a great weekend in the sun – see you there!
The Crucible’s CFO, Renée Ventimiglia, To Act As Interim Executive Director
The Crucible is in the process of hiring our next Executive Director. But, in the meantime, we are thrilled to announce Crucible CFO, Renée Ventimiglia, as our Interim ED....
Celebrate Black History Month With Events In The Bay Area
February is Black History Month, and every year, the Bay Area celebrates the occasion with a myriad of events for all ages....
Please Welcome The Crucible’s Three New Board Members For 2023
As The Crucible continues to expand our relationships across Oakland and the Bay Area, we are thrilled to grow our Board of Directors in 2023. Please join us in welcoming B Byrne...
Job Opportunity: The Crucible Is Looking For A New Executive Director
As we enter our 24th year, The Crucible is launching a search for our next Executive Director (ED). The Crucible Board of Directors is working closely with search firm Koya...
Thank You For Spending Your Weekend At GIFTY!
Thank you to the thousands of visitors who attended our annual GIFTY craft fair and open house this past weekend! With rain forecasted for both days, we weren’t sure what to...
Executive Director Susan Mernit to Retire from The Crucible in February 2023
After four and a half years, The Crucible’s Executive Director, Susan Mernit, will retire from her role as of February 1, 2023. The Crucible has been incredibly fortunate to have...