GIFTY will be packed with opportunities for you to shop from 60+ local vendors, eat delicious food, learn from faculty demos, create small gifts, win amazing prizes, enjoy live music, and more! Check out this helpful flow chart to create your game plan.
Dozens of leading artists, craftspeople, and Crucible faculty members will be selling their best hand-made pieces in a holiday celebration of local creative culture. With works of glass, metal, wood, ceramics, and more, you will find the perfect gifts for all the people on your list.
Seasonal treats, beverages, and entertainment make this an event all ages will enjoy. Parents of small children will need to pay special attention, as this space does have rough edges.
Saturday, December 10, 2016 | 11am-5pm
Sunday, December 11, 2016 | 11am-5pm
On Saturday and Sunday, we’ll have music, food, and drinks for sale, as well as demonstrations of Crucible areas of study. Our themed Open House events are a great way to learn more about our 56,000 square foot studio and seasonal class offerings.
Member preview on Friday, December 9, 2016 | 7-9:30pm
Like last year, we’ll host a special preview for members and invited guests on Friday evening. If you would like to attend the Friday preview, but are not yet a member, join here.
- Live industrial arts demonstrations like glass blowing and foundry pours
- Enameling and stamping for Copper Quilt commUNITY art project
- Hands-on clay activity in Ceramics Studio (Saturday and Sunday)
- Bicycles for sale in The Crucible’s Bike Shop
- Crucible gift certificates available
- Tickets available for our annual Hot Couture fire fashion show
- Drawing for a free Crucible class
- $25 discount on a class, if registered during GIFTY
- Raffle for a New Belgium Fat Tire bike
- Oakland Youth Symphony brass trio performing Friday, 7:30-8:30pm
- A dazzling collection of work by local artists and artisans
Local gourmet goodies:
- Fist of Flour Pizza Co. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Donut Savant (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Slojoy Coffee (Saturday, Sunday)
Share the Facebook events:
FREE this weekend!
SPECIAL MEMBER PREVIEW
With a performance by the Pleasant Grove Joyful Noise Choir
Friday Dec. 11 | 7 – 9:30 pm
Saturday Dec. 12 | 11 am — 6 pm
Sunday Dec. 13 | Noon – 5 pm
Dozens of leading East Bay artists, craftspeople and Crucible faculty members will be selling their best hand-made pieces in a holiday celebration of local creative culture. From glass to metal, wood, ceramics, clothing and much more, you’ll find the perfect gifts for the toughest people on your list. Seasonal treats, beverages and holiday entertainers make this an event all ages can enjoy.
- Live industrial art demonstrations like glass-blowing, foundry pouring and opportunities to get hands-on in ceramics.
- Bicycles for sale in The Crucible’s Bike Shop.
- Crucible gift certificates available for you to give Crucible classes as gifts.
- Tickets available for January’s Hot Couture flaming fashion show.
- Discounts of 10% plus another $25 off Crucible classes — even more savings available for Crucible members.
- Enter to win free tuition for a Crucible class!
- Help us celebrate the Gear Girls, our joint venture with Oakland Fund for the Arts teaching local high school students the art of welded sculpture.
FREE SECURE PARKING is available while space lasts, in the lot just west of The Crucible at 1300 7th Street.
Participating Vendors 2015
- McKeever Studios
- Brenda’s Ceramics
- Skin Care by Felecia
- Heart’s Desire Jewelry
- Hart String
- Rusty Noodle Studios
- Malvoye Enterprises
- Farm Fresh to You
- Yes & Yes Designs
- Fleurette Sevin Artglass
- Gabrielle Lessard
- Kaya Sattva Jewelry
- Knitnut by JL
- The Latch Key
- Fabulous Fabulous
- Green Pisces Designs
- The Window Lady
- By Nieves: Handmade Natural Body Care
- One Hook Productions
- JFein Designs
- Party Animals
- Aurelio Mucci
- Red Icebreaker
- NewPort Circle Designs
- Alex Brizicky Ceramics
- Praise the Gourd
- SteamPunk Garage
- Alison Morse
- Oh Cuddles!
- A Woven Thought
- Rose3 Creative
- Featherwieght Finery
- House of Honore
Saturday, December 14 | Noon to 6 pm
Sunday, December 15 | Noon to 5 pm
1260 7th Street, Oakland
Shopping at the mall was never like this!
Get your last minute shopping done at the Bay Area’s most unique holiday bazaar while supporting local artists and community arts education for youth and adults. Check out exciting live demonstrations including welding, glass working, metal casting, blacksmithing and much much more. Catch amazing fiery performances and wander through a maze of vendors with handmade crafts, perfect for last minute gifts. Step into a maze of artist booths with The Crucible’s own and other local artists selling their beautiful handmade art. From glass, metal, wood, ceramics, clothing and more, you’ll find that perfect gift for even the toughest person on your list.
- Beautiful handmade art for sale by local artists
- Live industrial art demos in every room with instructors and students on hand to answer any questions you may have.
- Photos with Santa — Soul Catchers Foto will be on hand to take professional photos with the jolly man himself
- Great deals on bikes — The Crucible Bike Shop has a selection of quality used bicycles that have been fully rebuilt by our youth and volunteer mechanics. Stop by the bike shop at this year’s Holiday Gifty for a test ride. In addition to getting a sweet, reliable ride your purchase supports our Youth Earn-A-Bike Program, our Youth Mechanic Program and our Community Bike Fixathons. Learn More…
- Tasty food and drinks from local vendors available for purchase
Current Vendor List
50 Years of Studio Glass Press Event (10/10/12)
|East Bay Industrial Art School Announces Summer Immersion Classes for Kids and Adults (12/14/11)|
Saturday & Sunday, December 17 & 18
Non-member Price $95 / Member Price $86
A great gift for your favorite industrial arts newbie, Tasters are an easy way to begin exploring in fire, metal or glass. Structured for all ages, 12 years and older*, just about anyone can get a taste of creating with fire and light. You can even take a class with a pal or sweetheart for a unique bonding experience. Try two skills on the same day and get a deal! Sign up for one morning and one afternoon Taster in separate disciplines on the same day and you’ll receive a $15 discount.
*Youth, ages 12 and up, are welcome when registered with a parent or guardian.
|Saturday, December 17
|Sunday, December 18
Winter Quarter 2012 & Spring Break 2012
Looking for a specific class to gift? Check out our winter classes listed by weekday, weekend or department. Download our Winter 2011 Catalog in PDF format for more information on classes and spring break for adults and youth.
Based on a short story by science fiction author Derek J. Goodman, MACHINE is set in a fiery industrial universe in which workers have sold themselves into a lifetime of servitude. When one worker regains his power of self-determination, the story ignites into an explosive brew of escape plots, alliances, and unlikely love interests.
Experience Machine in style by coming to our Closing Night Gala. On Saturday, January 21, you’ll enjoy fiery foods and fine wines before the show viewing our MACHINE inspired art show and after the show, mix and mingle with performers as we toast our 13th anniversary.
This holiday, give friends and family the gift of Crucible membership, giving them access to awesome Crucible member benefits, including early registration and discounts on Crucible classes and events, to priority access to special events. Help your loved one join our vital, vibrant community of artists, art lovers, artisans, innovators and educators by giving them the gift of membership. Plus anyone who purchases a membership as a gift by December
2011 Press Release
|East Bay Industrial Art School Announces Summer Immersion Classes for Kids and Adults (12/14/11)
Time To Create At The Crucible (3/24/11)
The Crucible Gets Fired Up For Spring (3/16/11)
2011 Press Clippings
Holiday Gifty Art Sale & Open House
Saturday, December 10, 2011 • 12PM to 6PM
Vendor Application is Closed.
A fun day for the whole family! Our open houses are a wonderful way to experience the excitement of The Crucible’s 56,000 sq. ft. studio, where furnaces roar and sparks fly. Check out exciting live demonstrations including welding, glass working, metal casting, blacksmithing and much much more. Catch amazing fiery performances and wander through a maze of vendors with handmade crafts, perfect for last minute gifts. You get to support local artists and community arts education for youth and adults while you get your last minute shopping done at the Bay Area’s most unusual holiday celebration.
Shopping at the mall was never like this!
Handmade Art for Sale
Bicycles for Sale