By Kristin Arzt
As we go into our 20th year, we want to look back at 2018–a record breaking year on many accounts–and give thanks for the incredible support we have been given from donors like you and institutional funders. There are only four days left to help The Crucible make its $25,000 matching gift – and we are so so close. A gift from you of any size will have double the impact, and help us continue to foster a safe, creative, welcoming space for people from all backgrounds and walks of life to create and engage creatively in our space.
In 2018, we expanded in every programming area! Reaching new levels of engagement and possibilities, we worked to make the arts more accessible to our communities in West Oakland and the Greater Bay Area. Throughout the year, we ran 502 adult classes serving 3,109 students, our studios were packed with 3,596 people participating in 213 team builds, and 2,824 youth joined us to learn more about the industrial arts.
In particular, we are proud of our work removing barriers to creativity for students. In 2018:
- 1,401 local youth participated in Field Trip Day, with 89% of them attending for free.
- 313 bikes were repaired by our volunteer bike mechanics.
- 491 youth participated in bike repair and fabrication programs at no cost.
- 317 volunteers helped us in the office, at events, and in the studios.
- 15 youth participated in our Fuego Youth Leadership program.
- $39,970 in free and reduced cost classes and experiences for under-resourced youth populations were offered, and we filled 15% of class spaces with scholarship students.
- And, we welcomed Susan Mernit, our new Executive Director.
See some of our favorite moments from 2018 below. We hope you can join us in 2019 to celebrate our 20th year, with new classes, community celebrations, and more!