Job Title: Senior Studio Supervisor (reposting)
Reports To: Director of Studio Operations & Facilities
Status: Full Time, Non-exempt
Date: February 15, 2021
The Crucible, Northern California’s most innovative and diverse industrial arts education center,
seeks a multi-talented, customer-service oriented, and enthusiastic individual to join our team as
a Senior Studio Supervisor.
(2/15/2021: Due to a pause in hiring because of COVID-19 related closure, we are reposting.)
The Senior Studio Supervisor oversees, supports & coordinates a team of studio managers, shop technicians, studio interns, and volunteers. The Senior Studio Supervisor is a working, onsite studio position and ensures that the studio crew works as a team to develop, organize, maintain, stock, and supervise the studio and facilities for all regular operations, events, and special projects. The Senior Studio Supervisor is also responsible for the health and safety operating conditions of the studios and facilities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for supervising the studio crew and associated administrative tasks.
- Schedules studio crew work shifts and is responsible for tracking hours and timesheet approval.
- Seeks direction from the Director of Studio Operations & facilities on overtime requests.
- Updates the Studio Task To-Do List. Coordinates prioritization of tasks with the Director of Studio Operations & Facilities.
- Meets regularly with the Director of Studio Operations & Facilities to update on issues, progress, and set priorities for the studios and facilities.
- Assigns duties to studio crew and sees that they are carried out.
- Is responsible for the training of the studio crew and safe working procedures.
- Maintains and updates written shop and studio procedures.
- Has limited purchase authority within normal budgeted shop and studio operations.
- Ensures that all classes have materials, equipment, and special project support.
- Monitors studio and class material usage, restocking as necessary.
- Coordinates studio purchasing with the Director of Studio Operations & Facilities, Program Manager, and Purchasing agent as needed.
- Ensures that all necessary tracking and coding of purchase invoices is carried out.
- Participates in staff/studio meetings and special committees as assigned.
- Ensures that Crucible safety standards are maintained for all studio activities.
- Works with the Safety Committee to develop and update The Crucible Safety Program.
- Is responsible for updating and maintaining all required safety documentation.
- Is responsible for the training of Crucible staff on forklifts, scissor lifts, etc. Keeps and maintains the certification documentation of the staff on all such equipment.
- Is responsible for stocking and maintaining all safety equipment, materials storage, handling, and disposal.
- Ensures that the Crucible facility is prepared and ready for all regular inspections.
- Coordinates with the Marketing Department for all studio signage needs.
- Facilitates the approved development of studio areas and special projects as required.
- Coordinates pick-up of equipment and supplies as required.
- Oversees/coordinates the maintenance and repair of all studio and facilities equipment.
- Maintains routine shop maintenance log.
- Maintains studio access authorization log and supporting studio use approval
- Maintains Crucible inventory reports.
- Organizes and maintains all studio files.
- Coordinates with the Director of Studio Operations & Facilities, Crucible faculty and the
Program Manager for studio and program support needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Candidate must have both administrative and supervisory experience as well as a solid background in sculpture, construction, manufacturing, metal fabrication, foundry, and glass working, or other industrial arts, etc. This position requires a complete understanding of industrial / sculpture studio operations.
- Minimum 2 years of industrial/ sculptural experience, 2 years of supervisory experience, 2 years of administrative experience.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills. Must be able to write logical, clear, and coherent documents, reports, and training manuals.
- Experience in aspects of metal fabrication, construction, foundry, and glass working, industrial businesses, etc, is important.
- Must be able to work with a high degree of accuracy to prioritize and work on several projects concurrently.
- Must be MAC literate, proficient with Word, Excel, Google. Salesforce experience preferred.
- Willing to work irregular hours, evenings, and weekends as required.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with populations that are both economically and ethnically diverse.
- Ability to work independently and to work in a team.
- BA/BS preferred or relevant experience.
- The candidate must hold a valid CA driver’s license.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in Oakland, California. The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Email: Cover letter, resume, LinkedIn profile, and three reference contacts to [email protected]
Subject line: Senior Studio Supervisor (Reposted)