The Crucible is hiring a Development Associate! This is a great role for someone who wants to build their nonprofit fundraising skill and be positioned to grow in their role. You will work closely with the Development Manager, the ED, and the rest of the team to support funding for scholarships and community programs, a core part of our mission.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to make an important impact at the largest industrial arts nonprofit in the country.
See the complete job description for the Development Associate and details on how to apply below.
Job Title: Development Associate 2022
Reports To: Development Manager
Status: Full-time, 40 hours a week
Salary: $45,760, eligible for benefits
Date: December 20, 2021
Closes: Open until filled
Our mission: The Crucible inspires creative exploration and expression through welcoming, hands-on arts education and experiences for people of diverse ages and backgrounds. As an innovative hub built around the industrial arts, The Crucible is a catalyst for individual growth and vibrant community connections. In addition to supporting working and emerging artists and art students, The Crucible is dedicated to supporting career pathways into the arts and the industrial trades and access to our programs for BIPOC youth and families, especially those from West Oakland. Want to work in a supportive work environment committed to the arts? Reach out to us to learn more!
Position Overview: The Development Associate is responsible for coordination and expansion of The Crucible’s membership program, maintenance of the donor database (Salesforce), coordination of donor events, some grant and donor research and writing, and some project management and reporting. The Development Associate is also responsible for timely gift processing, acknowledgment, and benefits fulfillment. This is a great role for someone who wants to build their nonprofit fundraising skill and be positioned to grow in their role. You will work closely with the Development Manager, the ED, and the rest of the team to support funding for scholarships and community programs, a core part of our mission.
Classification: This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Evening and weekend availability are required occasionally for events and meetings.
Membership Program Coordination (15%)
- Coordinate and manage the Crucible’s membership program including but not limited to:
- Create schedules and content for regular communication with members.
- Add new members to the database and handle welcome messages and questions.
- Remove expired memberships from the WooCommerce Store back end.
- Ensure members receive information on benefits (such as Cru Tote voucher).
- Respond to member emails and answer their questions.
- Handle previous and current member data in The Crucible’s database.
- Provide monthly reconciliation with Finance on membership registrations and renewals.
- Execute strategies for and carrying out member acquisition, renewal, and level increase campaigns and appeals.
- Support member events and member benefits.
- Research and report back on members who join at higher levels for possible individual and major donor cultivation.
Database Management / Stewardship (30%)
- Accurately enter information into the donor database (Salesforce) and maintain contributed income data entry for contacts, gifts, pledges, etc., to ensure consistency and the highest level of accuracy, and to reconcile with the Finance Office.
- Generate regular and accurate reports on income and fundraising progress, list maintenance, and lists for solicitation appeals.
- Prepare gift acknowledgments, pledge letters, and updates.
- Generate, reconcile, and send Development Batch Report and Contributed Income Report to Finance on a monthly basis.
- Send acknowledgment letters and emails for checks/in-kind donations.
- Update Salesforce with data entry for checks and online donations.
- Write and send acknowledgment letters for fundraisers (such as SPARK, Soiree).
Major donors and institutional grants support research (30%)
- Research individuals with the capacity for giving who are connected to The Crucible using donor tools.
- Document wealth scoring and prospect research results for the Development Team.
- Research grant prospects to support community programs, scholarships, and general operating support.
- Support Development Manager, Institutional Giving & Corporate Sponsorships, with grant writing and proposal development.
- Support planning and coordination of events organized by the Development Team throughout the year, including managing vendors and site logistics, organizing volunteers, and managing invitations/RSVPs.
- Work closely with the Board and the ED to assist with special community events, including annual fundraising events, artists’ talks and demos, and community outreach programs.
- Attend Development and other Crucible events and be a visible and engaged community member.
Other general activities (25%)
- Compile organizational and programmatic data for reporting purposes as needed.
- Email and team engagement.
- Experience with donor research tools or strong interest in learning.
- Familiarity with grant writing or proposal development or strong interest in learning.
- Experience with Salesforce or a comparable CRM or database, plus willingness and interest to build skills and capacity in this area.
- Experience with data management and organization, including data entry, report generation, list management, and segmentation.
- Enthusiasm for education and The Crucible’s mission to make the industrial arts accessible to everyone.
- Commitment to quality work, productivity, and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload in a timely manner and handle multiple deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills; enjoys people and communication.
- A high degree of professionalism and commitment to cultural competency.
- Self-starter and good communicator.
- Availability to work some nights/weekends.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion.
We offer competitive pay. This is a full-time, hourly position with job flexibility and benefits. Our work environment is fast-paced, creative, authentic, and inspiring. The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. There’s a lot to do, but it’s all good. Sound interesting? Get in touch.
How to apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and three reference contacts (PDF format) to [email protected]. Subject line: Development Associate.
No faxes or calls, please.