Job Title: Director of Marketing and Ecommerce
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Exempt, full-time (32 hours week)
Date: March 3, 2022
Closes: Open until filled
The Crucible inspires creative exploration and expression through welcoming, hands-on arts education and experiences for people of diverse ages and backgrounds. As an innovative hub built around the industrial arts, The Crucible is a catalyst for individual growth and vibrant community connections. In addition to supporting working and emerging artists and art students, The Crucible has become increasingly focused in recent years on supporting career pathways into the arts and the industrial trades, and supporting access to our programs for BIPOC youth and families, especially those from West Oakland. Want to work in a quirky, joyful place focused on the arts? Reach out to us to learn more!
The Director of Marketing and Ecommerce leads The Crucible’s work in outreach, digital marketing, storytelling, and brand through our public-facing platforms, business development, and communication strategies. This role also oversees and supports the management of the website, the back-end of our e-commerce store, all SEO, advertising, and multi-channel outreach.
The Director of Marketing and Ecommerce tells The Crucible’s story to audiences both locally and nationally and helps define our mission and vision. As a core member of the Executive Team, this role is responsible for leading and implementing an outbound marketing strategy for our organization’s programs and brand, overseeing revenue-generating marketing programs and onsite sales strategies, and overseeing messaging for fundraising and development.
The Director of Marketing and Ecommerce manages a team that includes a full-time content manager, part-time Performance Marketing and website management specialist, a part-time e-commerce specialist, as well as contracted SEO, Google AdWords, web development, and design consultants. This team works collaboratively to drive success for our brand, revenue goals, and mission through their work with the website, multi-channel marketing, e-commerce platform, programs, and partnerships.
Strategy, Business Development, Outbound Marketing and Sales
- Play a key role in setting strategy and execution for organizational direction, program development and marketing and eCommerce programs, and revenue goals.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and senior management team, develop and execute strategic outreach and partnership opportunities that work to optimize awareness, value, and impact of The Crucible’s mission.
- Work directly with the Content/eCommerce Marketing Specialist to manage and support the development and optimization of thecrucible.org.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, cultivate press and corporate relationships to further increase awareness, sponsorships, and direct financial support of The Crucible’s programming.
- Create and execute an annual strategic plan, budget, and calendar for marketing The Crucible’s educational programs and events, including youth and adult programs, special workshops, team builds, private workshops, and events.
- Develop and manage outbound sales programs and materials for team builds school workshops and other revenue-driven programs.
- Develop and maintain strategic brand positioning as well as creative strategy documents for all deliverables. Ensure a coherent and consistent brand voice is established across all media.
- Provide creative direction for all video, digital collateral, print, and signage for the organization internally and externally (including cultivating and maintaining relationships with photographers, videographers, printers, and others).
- Develop and manage calendars and budgets for online storytelling, outbound marketing, print ads, online banner ad campaigns, and other initiatives.
- Oversee and/or execute ad and outbound marketing scheduling, design, and production.
- Create/solicit content for communications pieces (including web pages, eNewsletter, brochures, ad copy, and other promotional materials).
- Manage the design, production, and mailing of all print and digital pieces, such as marketing brochures and development appeals for the organization, including identifying and soliciting prospect mailing lists, including internal and external list pulls, and maintenance of the Salesforce database.
- Analyze participant and patron sales data to inform future marketing activities and assess results. Report on trends and this data to inform program decisions.
- Support development and fundraising efforts through the timely and responsive design of membership and donor materials, including direct mail appeals, brochures, impact reports, and event collateral.
- Manage the design, production, and mailing of all development print and digital pieces in partnership with the Development Team.
- Ensure that member and donor communications and online appeals are consistent with other external messaging; provide timely updates to development web pages, and create social media posts.
Promotion & Publicity
- Develop and implement/oversee a comprehensive, year-round plan to maximize effective exposure for Crucible programs, creating and building relationships with prospective audiences via social media and other grassroots campaigns, as well as traditional online, print, and radio channels.
- Work with a team to write and distribute (or oversee) all publicity materials, including press releases, social media posts, and underwriting scripts.
- Cultivate new opportunities for promotion and publicity while maintaining current sources.
- Help manage and grow databases of contacts for mail and email campaigns in the Crucible’s CRM – Salesforce.
- Support planning and outreach/promotion for key events, activities, and programs such as GIFTY, Open Houses, artists talks.
- Initiate promotional ticket giveaways, gift certificate giveaways, promotional voucher giveaways to local nonprofits, and maintain event guest lists.
- Ensure collateral is displayed effectively and practically at internal and external events.
- Gather and report on marketing intelligence, including qualitative and quantitative market research. Interpret this data into action steps.
- Minimum of five years of relevant marketing experience – preferably with an established cultural or education-based nonprofit organization.
- Experience cultivating successful relationships with press organizations and corporate partners. Direct connections in the Bay Area are a plus.
- Experience managing successful digital marketing campaigns, including performance marketing, inbound content strategy, Google AdWords and Display campaigns, mass and segmented email campaigns. Zapier, Monday.com, and automation experience are a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively tell our story to a wide variety of individuals, including students, sponsors, donors, artists, parents, media, and all program participants (ages 8-80).
- Expert computer skills (Mac preferred), including proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications. Experience with Salesforce, WordPress, and WooCommerce is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of web editing applications (including knowledge of HTML/CSS), Photoshop, video editing is a plus.
- Experience producing bulk email communications, using systems such as Mailchimp, AutomateWoo.
- Print production, direct mail, and advertising experience are a plus.
- Experience managing off-site consultants, as well as budget development and management.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, take initiative, and be proactive with attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds; current valid CA driver’s license and ability to drive a car if needed.
- BA/BS preferred, but not required.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Oakland, California. The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Email a cover letter, résumé, LinkedIn profile, and three reference contacts to [email protected].
Subject line: Director of Marketing and Ecommerce