Spring Open House
“The Science of Art”
Saturday, April 7, 2012 • 12-4PM
The Science of Art, an event to highlight the scientific principals, enquiry and exploration behind the fine and industrial arts processes taught and practiced here at the Crucible! The event will bring together Crucible faculty, guest artists, a curated gallery of exhibits and demonstrations, projects from local schools as well as special performances, food, and the participation of a number of other local art and science related organizations and university programs. Our goal is to connect ourselves and our community to The Science of Art and give us an opportunity to further understand the world in which we live and work, making way for new creativity and innovation at every stage of our process.
A fun day for the whole family! Our open houses are a wonderful way to experience the excitement of The Crucible’s 56,000 sq. ft. studio, where furnaces roar and sparks fly. Check out exciting live demonstrations and exhibits explaining the science behind the art of The Crucible. Catch amazing fiery performances and wander through our student and faculty art show displaying the creativity of The Crucible.
- Intriguing demonstrations combining science and art including the Science of Fire, Venturi Effect, Ruben’s Tube, Harmonograph, Die Moto Bio-diesel motorcycle display, mysteries of steel made visible, Raku firing, bicycle physics, and other fascinating experiments in action
- Guest exhibits by Tech Shop, Chabot Space & Science Center, and Berkeley Space Sciences Laboratory. Also, Ron Hipschman, Exploratorium staff physicist, will give a lecture and demonstration about many ways to make color–from neon signs to oil slicks to rainbows and more.
- Amazing molten metal pour in our foundry
- Fiery stage performances by our fire performance faculty & students
- Live music by, Oakland based ensemble, Gamelan X
- Spectacular art show showcasing work from Crucible students, faculty & staff
- Beautiful handmade art for sale by Crucible artists
- Eye popping discounts on Crucible classes
- Bicycles for sale in The Crucible’s Bike Shop
- Tasty food and drink
- Chances to win free tuition for a Crucible class!
The Crucible is truly unique with all the industrial art disciplines we have under one roof. During our this exciting Open House we will demystify the science of art with demonstrations and exhibits in every area. Instructors, students, guest artists, and scientists will be on hand to answer any questions you may have. Check out a map of our studio!
Every spring we like to show off what we do here with a spectacular art show. We will have pieces from Crucible staff, students, faculty and volunteers showcasing all of the fabulous industrial arts classes we teach here. During the open house we will ask visitors to vote on their favorite top three pieces. Free tuition on a Crucible class will be awarded to the winning artists.
Handmade Art for Sale
This year we will have Crucible artists on hand selling their beautiful handmade art. Currently we have Tara Murray Art Glass, Nightside Studios, Red Frog Metal Design, Rusty Noodle and many more.
Discounts on Crucible Classes
New students who sign up for a Spring class during the Open House, will receive 20% off class tuition. All members who sign up, will receive 25% off. Not a member and want totake advantage of the 25% off deal? Become a member at our open house and get 25% off any classes you register for at the open house.
Bicycles for Sale
Looking for a great deal on a bike? The Crucible Bike Shop has a selection of quality used bicycles that have been fully rebuilt by our youth and volunteer mechanics. Stop by the bike shop at this year’s open house for a test ride, or contact [email protected] with questions or to make an appointment. In addition to getting a sweet, reliable ride, your purchase supports our Youth Earn-A-Bike Program, our Youth Mechanic Program, and our Community Bike Fixathons. Learn more.
Win FREE tuition for a Crucible class
During our Open House you can win free tuition for a Crucible class. Enter our drawing when you first arrive for a chance at the free class.