Save the Date: Youth + Creativity Block Party in Old Oakland
Join us on Saturday, April 16 for a block party celebrating youth and creativity! We will be there with ERV (our activated Firetruck/Educational Response Vehicle) with demos in the industrial arts. The Crucible will be bringing our glassblowing and welding crews to demo, plus hands-on activities for everyone! There will be an artist market, art showcases, food vendors, and much more for the whole family. We are thrilled to be joining other incredible Oakland arts organizations like Civic Design Studios, e14 Gallery, Chapter 510, and more!
- When: Saturday, April 16, 12-6pm
- Where: Old Oakland, starting at 9th and Broadway (find us parked on 8th near Clay!)
- Free to attend!
Please Share: Youth and Adult Scholarship Opportunities
We count on our community to spread the word about available scholarships. Communication around these opportunities has been limited due to covid-19, so please share this information with anyone you think would benefit.
- At The Crucible, scholarships fund access to classes and materials costs.
- We prioritize scholarship awards to low-income households and individuals living in and/or attending school in West Oakland or the East Bay, and BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) youth and families.
- Scholarship applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Please visit our scholarship page for more information and feel free to reach out to [email protected] if you have any questions before applying. We encourage all who are interested to apply.
Free Glass Blowing Workshops For Our Community
Our Hot Shop has reopened and is hosting Oakland educators for tasters and experiences! Learn more and see photos here.
- We are interested in partnering with local schools and community members that would like to bring people ages 14 and up to experience glassblowing.
- If you are interested in being notified when we offer our next free workshop for Oakland educators, please email [email protected].
Opportunities for Local Educational Partners
Our community programs team has been able to connect with local schools and programs to offer creative experiences in our studios. See this post for more information on a recent community program. If you are interested in doing something similar, please reach out to our team, especially if you are:
- A community youth programs manager that would like to bring your young folks ages 12-18 to The Crucible for some hands-on, after-school or weekend programs in areas such as ceramics, glass blowing, leatherworking, woodworking, or welding.
- A teacher who can help us bring in students for the special girls-only programs we hope to run for girls ages 14-18 in blacksmithing, welding, glass blowing, and ceramics.
- A facilitator who has local West Oakland families and adults in your network who might like to experience free demonstrations and hands-on short classes (intro to glass blowing, for example).
- Email us to get in touch.
Job Opportunities at The Crucible
The Crucible is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all persons, especially those who bring the benefits of diversity to the organization. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are a nonprofit organization and art school dedicated to making the fine and industrial arts accessible for all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Our work is centered in Oakland and the East Bay, where we offer classes and team builds in glass, metal, clay, wood, and more to over 8,000 people each year. Share the word on these openings: